Subject: [Leica] S and SL in use
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 14:25:11 +1000

Hi all. Frank sent me a note asking my impression on the two systems as I
have them here. I thought it might be of interest to some others also.
Very briefly almost all of my photography now is in studio, shooting
fashion, beauty, makeup looks, dancers etc. Also some boudoir for friends.

I have the S2 (bought third hand), now just a spare and currently The S
(Typ 007). I have also shot a couple of thousand frames with a loan 006. My
lenses are the 70 and 120. All up about 36000 exposures this far. I have
had the SL for a shorter period and have the 24-90 only. Incidentally I
tried briefly the S-T adaptor but found it noticeably slower to focus.
About 6000 exposures thus far. I like to use it where the zoom is very
convenient and for higher ISO, natural light scenarios.

For me the S (Typ 007) output is much superior as you would expect from the
format. The dynamic range is noticeably better (quoted at 15 stops). The
tonal smoothness is excellent, especially the transitions to out of focus.
Resolution may matter or not of course depending on your output. Sometimes
with a dancing subject for example I might be composing loosely and shoot
rapid sequences, so I might be cropping to effectively similar as 'full
frame' anyway.  Still very noticeably superior output.
Probably the single most significant limitation for me is that there is
just one central focus point and focus/recompose requires care in that DoF
even stopped down is much smaller in my applications With in close
headshots being very unforgiving, so that I usually shoot loosely there
with near eye centred and crop to what I want.. I
The SL menu operations and button functions really seem to be a more
refined version of that of the earlier S designs. I like them a lot and if
you have both it is easy to swap back and forth due to the similarities.

Handling wise I don't find the SL to 'feel' much lighter in the hands with
the 24-90. I don't know the numbers. Both have much more weight and size
than an M with most lenses of course. The lower edge of the body is sharp
and can be uncomfortable using it for extended periods.  I might shoot
400-even up to 1000+ frames in an afternoon. The battery grip (just tried
loan one briefly) is much better in that regard. Then it would be all of
the size of the bare S though. My applications aren't carrying around for
travel or street so its not important for me. My S is nearly all on tripod
and when I get the appropriate L bracket, for studio shall do the same with
SL with stabilisation off of course. For fashion for example it would
typically be at me sitting on the floor height anyway.

For both systems, my focus method is to be in MF only and have the rear
button set to AFS. Recheck focus every 6-10 frames for full length f9.5
ish. The SL has a fabulous ability to be able to shift AF point around with
a single control and while held to your eye. Generally faster to lock on.
Very quiet operation of the whole camera too. Lens stabilisation with the
native lens is excellent. You need to defeat the exposure simulation in
view for low light if you want to be able to see anything most especially
if using flash as the main exposure of course.

In summary for MY applications the S system is quite superior in output, so
that I use it nearly all of the time.  I would expect/guess that the next S
whenever (not soon? may have an EVF like the SL. I vowed that I would
dislike losing the OVF, but there really are some advantages to the EVF of
course.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman