Subject: [Leica] B&W developers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 02:51:02 -0400

I?d say Rodinal grain was augmented the word honest would not come to mind.
If you wanted gain all over the place you used Rodinal at 1:100 but the
grain kind of magically lined up with the detail. All out of focus areas
look like a sand storm with fast films 400 or 1600 and Rodinal. If you
wanted not such a grain statement use it at 1:50 a thing which nobody who
was any good ever did.
There were or are lots of developers which did not superficially wear down
your grain with solvents or were used at such high dilutions that any
solvent in them didn?t do much so that I?d call ?honest grain?.
I?d say Rodinal?s ISO was honest not its grain. Typically, the number on the
box of film was its true iso with any developer you?d ever want to use.
(exception below)
Developer formulas which did give you a real ?honest? push as in real detail
in the shadow areas were in most cases Ilfords Phenidone based PQ formulas,
not Kodak?s Metal (Elon) MQ formulas. Kodak did get into Phenidone in the
90?s for their basic T-grain developers and Xtol used Phenidone though Xtol
was not good for a much of a push. Possible a stop on a good day.
Phenidone based honest pushing developers for film were:
Acufine, Diafine, ID-67, Formula #28 Single- Solution High Energy Developer,
ID-11B (Ilfords D76), ID-68 and Kodak?s tmax liquid developer it came out
with in the late 80?s.
The issue being of all the many developer options at any dilution and any
ISO including normal these are the worst developer formula choices out
there. The exception being Xtol and other ascorbic acid developers. I was
keen to use a Metol based Xtol which id mix myself but it never happened. An
easier route would be to augment your D76 1:1 with some ascorbic acid.
So, I?d advise not pushing film at all but simply using the fastest film you
can find at its real base speed which should be the speed with your
developer and as Neopan 1600 @ 1600 in Xtol 1:3 is gone I?d use Ilford Delta
3200 at ISO 1600.  1600 is well known to be its true base iso with all but
very few push phenidone devlopers. Not 3200. Shooting it at 1600 is not
?pulling? it which is a horible thing to do to any film as it really just
over exposing it by far the worst thing you can do to film negitive or
postive.

Mark William Rabiner

On 6/14/17, 6:02 PM, "LUG on behalf of Aram"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of leica_r8
at hotmail.com> wrote:

    I was a Rodinal fan.  Gave me nice snappy negatives that were easy to
    print.  I once saw an article that referred to it as producing "honest
    grain" whatever that meant, but I did not mind the tight grain structure
    it had.  If I were pushing I would us something else, however.  But
    Rodinal always left me satisfied. My last few years with film,  I played
    around with adding ascorbate to it to minimize the grain and i did like
    that, too. Glad to see it is still available.

    Aram

    Aram Langhans
    (Semi) Retired Science Teacher
    & Unemployed photographer

    ?The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin
himself would ever have dared dream.? James D. Watson

    >>> http://www.imagist.com