Subject: [Leica] Current State of Displays?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 21:07:45 -0400

A display is like a projected slide. It has a 200 to 1 brightness to dark
ratio. A print has a 50 to 1 ratio.
Its apples and oranges always has been that?s why I laugh when they say
?soft proof? weasel words at their worst. Meaningless.
I do think though after a few prints the relationship between what?s on the
screen to what comes out of the printer is evident. And helps you with your
next print. It?s a hell of a lot easier than printing in the darkroom.
It?s hard to compete with a huge 27 inch 5k screen but a quality print
well-crafted from pigment ink on 100% rag paper, Hahnem?hle from Germany has
its own thing going for it which could grab you a few grand if you can get
in with the right gallery people and your work is up to it.
I?ll say I?d rather be looking at a well crated print then any rgb screen or
projected slide anyday.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 8/3/17, 3:30 PM, "LUG on behalf of Howard L Ritter Jr"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of hlritter
at twc.com> wrote:

    I have an instance of Apple?s original 27? 5K iMac, and I am no less
impressed every time I compose a photo on it than I was when it was new and
I first enthused about it on the LUG. I?m not a professional, so I can?t
bring that kind of discernment to judging its color gamut, contrast, color
?accuracy? and so on, but I note that images on it closely resemble the
images on the LEDs of my M and my Nikon 810A.

    Probably unrelated is that I cannot get accurate color printing and
overall lightness from either of my Epson Stylus printers driven by either
of my iMacs, despite calibration with a Spyder. FWIW, the prints look
basically identical to each other, just not to the display or the camera?s
LCD. I?m still working on this.

    ?howard