Subject: [Leica] IMG: Gen. Hap Arnold
From: hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:14:18 -0400

Jim?

That?s a nice example of Caniff?s realistic style (I wouldn?t call it a
caricature), which characterized his strips as well. As a kid, I became a
devoted follower of Steve Canyon, and was always proud of the fact that
Caniff, an Ohio native, modeled "Maumee University?, where Steve's young
female ward, Poteet, was a student, after my hometown college and alma
mater, Miami University. I was lucky to be able to follow Steve in one paper
after another after I left home to join the Air Force (cause/effect?) right
up to the point where Caniff died in the middle of a story line over 20
years later. I also avidly read Terry and the Pirates, but that was long
after it had become the work of George Wunder.

(By an odd coincidence, for the last 12 years of my civilian career we lived
in Maumee, Ohio, site of the 18th Century Fort Miamis. All three names are
variants of what we call ?Miami" now. The etymology of Miami, FL, is
unrelated, coming from the native name for Lake Okeechobee.)

Also coincidentally, my AFROTC training class at Gunter AFB, Alabama,
visited AEDC in the summer of ?67, just before I started active duty. I
remember being impressed by the von Karmann Gas Dynamics Facility, IIRC.

?howard