Subject: [Leica] More testing.. Sony 24-70 vs 28-70 vs 55 Which to keep?
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 11:14:36 -0700

Getting the last of this testing done..

With all 3 lenses in hand, I went about taking pictures ( images is too
strong a word) of my fence.

The 2 zooms are the F4 versions ( lighter weight, as appropriate for travel
and not wanting an aching back)

I tested on a tripod, at ISO250, using the A7M2.  Steadyshot was on. ( but
it seemed to make no difference.)

AF was engaged and did  all the focusing for me.  Distance to "subject" was
about 12 feet.

The lenses were tested at 70,50,35,28mm  Apertures were from F4 to F16.
Sample size of 1.

Evaluation was done in LRCC at 1:1 in the center only.

The 55 was the best of the bunch, at 50-55 mm.  Not a lot better than the
24-70, but still noticeable better, at all apertures.

The 24-70 was, in general, better than the 28-70 at all apertures.

There were a few occasions that the 28-70 did better than the 24-70, but it
depended on the aperture and FL selected.  Seemed to me to be inconsistent.
better at F5.6, worse at F4 and F8, for example.  Could be mechanical
linkage related in the cheaper lens.

A quick look at the corners, shows the 24-70 to be better at all apertures
compared to the 28-70.

Overall, I am satisfied.. The A7M2 and 24-70 will stay, the 28-70 will be
put on my to-be-sold list.. Along with the original A7 camera.

The 55 is still a pretty good lens.. It stays too..

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net