Subject: [Leica] Dolphin Dance
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 20:31:35 +0530

Wildlife wise, the best encounter of our Canada trip was with a large pod
of playful feeding Pacific White-sided Dolphin at the waters around
Campbell River in British Columbia. They were great to see, and I spent a
lot of time taking a break from photography, just looking at them
frolicking. This trip I had decided to borrow Howard Cummer's Fuji 100-400,
and stick with a Fuji X-T2 for the whole trip, not taking my Nikon
equipment at all, so that I could evaluate the mirrorless kit for action
sequences. It was a decision I came to regret quite early on - I was
getting around 10% of focused images, on High Speed tracking mode, compared
to my normal hit rate of around 80% with the Nikon kit. In other words, a
no contest for action sequences, though as you would expect, it was
perfectly fine for static shots. Mirrorless still has some way to go, on
both focus acquisition and tracking in high speed mode, and I am not going
to repeat the experiment anytime soon! Here are some dolphin captures,
then, and they are all different ones!

Front On:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/dolphin/Canada-20170729-3366.jpg.html

Explosion:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/dolphin/Canada-20170729-3585.jpg.html

Leap:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/dolphin/Canada-20170729-3382.jpg.html

Arch:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/dolphin/Canada-20170729-3374.jpg.html

Re-entry:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/dolphin/Canada-20170729-3376.jpg.html

I posted two of these, because I cannot make up my mind which is better!

Synchronized Swimming 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/dolphin/Canada-20170729-3086.jpg.html

Synchronized Swimming 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/dolphin/Canada-20170729-3087.jpg.html

Dolphin Dance:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/dolphin/Canada-20170729-3579.jpg.html

Please see LARGE.

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Dolphin Dance)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Dolphin Dance)