Subject: [Leica] IMG: Yellow-billed Magpie
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 05:48:34 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

The Yellow-billed Magpie (Pica nutalli) is a large member of the crow family
that is endemic to California.  Other magpies are found elsewhere and the
very similar Black-billed Magpie is widespread in North America... I'll bet
you can deduce what the primary difference between these two species is.
The Yellow-billed Magpie prefers the open oak woodlands in sheltered valleys
of California's Central Valley and adjacent foothills but can also be found
on lawns and in parks in the Central Valley's cities and towns.

This species is particularly susceptible to the West Nile virus and a 2005
outbreak of this disease reduced the Yellow-billed Magpie population by 50%.
 For a number of years following the outbreak there were no magpies near my
home but in the last few years the populations appear to have recovered; my
theory which I must emphasize has not been tested is that among the birds
present in 2005 there were varying degrees of resistance to the virus and
the more resistant individuals survived and re-populated the Central Valley.
 Yellow-billed Magpies are again regular visitors to my yard.

For many years I've wanted to showcase the iridescence of its tail and wing
feathers.  What do you think?

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/corvidae/pica/ybmagp05.html

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento