Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 29/11/2017: around Berlaymont
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 07:46:10 +0100

On Wednesday around lunchtime I took a brief walk around the EU quarter
before I had to head for the airport to fly to Stockholm. On the Schuman
roundabout, I happened upon a demonstration-this is a frequent occurrence,
as this square, surrounded by the main EU institutions, is a favourite spot
for political activity of this sort. This time it was a demo to protest the
treatment of the Rohingya by the Burmese government:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-rkHtxrc/A

Most of the participants were Bangladeshi Muslims. Some were local, but many
(most, I think) had come to Brussels from other European countries,
principally the UK but also Germany and France, to stage this demonstration.
It was all peaceful and dignified, although I was struck by the complete
absence of women. The elderly man on the right in the high-viz vest was very
friendly and invited me to take as many photos as I wanted:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-9NswSgb/A
Incidentally, our Brussels Liaison Office, my workplace when I am in town,
is in the building on the right side of this image.

On the other side of Berlaymont, the huge building that houses the European
Commission, is a reminder of what has been achieved, despite all the
problems the world faces, and also of the trans-Atlantic ties that once
bound us together but that are being undermined by the current regime in
Washington. A piece of the Berlin Wall, enclosed in glass to protect it from
the Brussels weather, with wall art depicting John F. Kennedy:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-59gW5br/A

I found the juxtaposition quite moving, but of course I am a direct
beneficiary of the West?s victory in the Cold War, having been born on the
wrong side of the Iron Curtain.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman