Subject: [Leica] TAX question: Should I buy an M10?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 09:55:48 -0600

If you can take delivery by December 31 (the "placed in service" rule),
you should be OK with a Schedule C deduction for the gear. This would be
either by electing to expense it under Sec. 179, or 100% bonus
depreciation for purchases after 9/27/17.? The Sec. 179 election is
limited to $500,000 of gear and doesn't apply after $2 million of
purchases (amounts no doubt crafted with Leica gear in mind).? The Sec.
179 deduction also can't cause a loss on your Schedule C.

Schedule A is for business deductions as an employee and wouldn't come
into play.? Also consider that if you have an even bigger book in 2018
and jump into another bracket, a 2018 purchase might be better.? A
crystal ball is needed here.

Ken