Yes the Nikon has a 24 and 28 at no extra price. It?s a monster. I don?t use 2.8 zooms at all never owned one.
I do think the extended zoom ratio makes it?s different lens making it an apple oranges kind of deal
I?d get from the 90?s the  35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D half the weight half the cost but an earlier level of lens design.
As far as zooms go many serious people go from their 80-200 to their 18-25 and skip the standard zoom.
I?m  getting an 18-35  this year which I think is the key lens of our era. A wide or ultra-wide zoom.
I was going to get the 20 1.8 but  practicality won over austerity.
The 20 would match up with all my other 1.8?s giving me a 1.8 shooting system which would make me an extra cool guy.
I think if  a photog had one zoom it should be the 18-35.
In zoom mode by the end of the year  I?ll go between the AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm  f/3.5-4.5G ED $746.95 and the AF-P NIKKOR  70-300mm  f/4.5-5.6E ED VR  $746.95. A new E lens.
But right now I?m shooting current Nikor 1.8 primes most all of them costing around $750 except the 50mm.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer