Subject: [Leica] Re SL and Left-eyed Shooters
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 07:47:40 +1000

Hi Bob I just saw this thread while browsing the archive.
I have the SL as you possibly recall. I have always been left eye dominant,
although lately I have seen that my uncorrected right eye is actually
clearer at viewfinder distance. I try in an unscientific way to use that
eye when I remember too. A side effect of that is that the different head
position results in a different idea of what is vertical.

I find that the SL (and the S) with central viewfinder is easier for the
left eye than M cameras.
It depends what functions you are using while the camera is at your eye. I
use the joystick to move the single AF point easily while using my left
eye. I don't use any other functions with the camera to my eye. That
moveable AF was one of the attractions for me (as well as the excellent
24-90).

Other manufacturers such as Fujifilm have that 1 step operation too. I got
my second XT camera (used) because I like the controls philosophy but it's
idle on the shelf like the first one was too. Dance with who brung ya I
guess.

For studio fashion for example I might shoot 1000+ frames with the model in
continuous movement and in rapid series. I just pop that AF point, which I
have offset high, back on the near eye and hit back AF button (in MF) maybe
every 10-15 frames.

I have never been confident to try the face recognition that Tina mentioned
she likes.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman