Subject: [Leica] Comparing new 50s, or 1 meter focusing.
From: frank at f3documentaryphotography.com (Frank Farmer)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:46:09 -0600

Warning: this topic may?ve already been beaten to death, so my apologies in
advance if that?s the case.

I?ve toyed with the idea of replacing my long-serving 50mm Summicron
(version III) for some time, and recently, I had a chance to visit the Leica
Store in Washington, DC (what a treat) to mount up the current offerings.
I?ve always loved the idea and look of the Noctilux, and that was really
what I was there to see. I figured if I was going to buy another Leica 50, I
may as well purchase one that grabs more light, right? However, what I
quickly found is that I think I?m going to be flummoxed by the 1 meter
minimum focusing distance.

If I remember correctly, my version III was the first 50 to focus to .7
meter (that may be totally wrong, but I had that tucked away in my head,
anyway). I have to admit, though, that I?m quite accustomed to using it at
that less-than-a-meter range. Are my Noctilux dreams dashed? Do any older
Noctilux lenses focus more closely? Should I just crop? Have I just saved
myself a pile of money?

I get it, this is really a subjective question, and Noctilux aside, I will
say that I loved the look of the new ?cron in the very, very limited time I
had to play with it in the store.

Decisions, decisions.

Frank F. Farmer
Jackson, Mississippi