Subject: [Leica] IMG: Old B&W Revisited
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 14:21:31 -0500

Thanks for the kind words, Nathan.

You might be interested in the back story.? I was parked in front of the
A&J Rubel, Co., a department store where my mother worked as cashier.?
Uncle Abe had passed on, but Jake ran the store in the old way, with
tight control of the money.? They used trolley baskets from various
parts of the store to a raised platform along one wall, where my mother
handled the money and wrapped the packages, which then were sent back
down to the point of sale.

In the late 1930s, Jake, who never married, managed to get his brother,
along with his family, from Germany to the U.S.? His brother's son,
Werner, was about my age and we became friends. After a tour in the
army, Werner used the GI Bill to get an Engineering degree and ended up
working with the enclave of German engineers in Huntsville, Alabama.? He
died a few years ago.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA