Subject: [Leica] Sony World Photography Awards
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 11:34:43 +0100

Some interesting stuff.? I was amused by the Trump maned horse at the end.

http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-43810323

The winner has some good large format work and I see that she shot some
of it in Ballyvourney in Ireland which has ancient holy wells. The
pilgrimage there is known as the "pattern" and is dedicated to St.
Gobnait. It's held in February each year and attracts a compact crowd.
I've always meant to be there with a camera, but always missed it due to
something else cropping up. My wife's devout grandfather came from there
before moving to Killarney and marrying. As a result, we used to spend a
great deal of time in Killarney with her relatives. I've been at
Ballyvourney many times and it has always had some old men and women
shuffling through the pattern route going through decades of the rosary.
Most of these early christian rituals are based on old pagan rite, and I
suppose this is no different.

Here's a link to a small slice of the winner's work

http://www.alystomlinson.co.uk/personal/ex-voto/

Douglas