Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 26/4/2018: goodbye to Copenhagen, for now
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 08:19:46 +0200

Yesterday was my last day in Copenhagen this time around; I will spend the
remaining few days in Denmark in my hometown Aarhus. But since my bus to
Aarhus left in the afternoon, I had some time to explore in the morning. I
decided to visit Copenhagen?s oldest cemetery still in use, Assistens
Kirkeg?rd, where I could see graves of some famous people as well as cherry
trees in bloom.

I walked from my hotel along the lakes that stretch from the centre of
Copenhagen to the northern quarters N?rrebro and then ?sterbro:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-zF6qrMp/A

I then turned left on N?rrebrogade, the main thoroughfare of N?rrebro, a
working class and immigrant neighbourhood. I happened upon these two couples:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-pX7GDmZ/A

A colourful bar on N?rrebrogade. Its name is Understellet, which literally
means ?chassis? but is also a slang expression for the ?nether regions? of a
woman:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-MXJp2TC/A

N?rrebrogade led me to Assistens Kirkeg?rd where the cherry trees were in
bloom as I had hoped:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-v8z5bbT/A

I then decided to visit some of the graves of famous people, starting with
Dan Tur?ll, a much beloved poet who died at just 47. He was a Danish version
of the beat writers like Kerouac or Ginsburg, and was as much a performer as
a writer. I saw him perform at my high school in the late 1970s. At his
grave, I found a group of high school students with their teacher, on a
walkabout in Copenhagen. The teacher set up a speaker on the grave and they
were listening to a recording of Tur?ll reciting one of his long poems while
following the text on paper. The teacher gave me a sheet so that I could
follow as well. It was a wonderful experience:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-28Kqz79/A

After they moved on, I photographed Tur?ll?s grave:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-ggDkKKd/A

And then I made my way to the centre and travelled to my hometown Aarhus by
bus and ferry, a journey of about 3 1/2 hours:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-V6vbR6k/A

Now begins the second part of my Danish spring break.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain