Subject: [Leica] SL redux, end of story (another view of the A7Riii)
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 09:15:34 -0700

Just another perspective on the Sony A7 series.

I?ve been using these cameras, or E-mount variants since the NEX-7.

I?d just like to make an observation about E-mount nomenclature: Sony makes
a difference between an E-mount and FE-mount lenses, the latter being for
full-frame cameras while the former is for APS-C varieties. I just looked at
my Sony lenses and while they are marked ?E-mount? they also carry (for
example) FE 28-70 f? nomenclature showing they are full-frame compatible. If
you mount a non-FE lens on a full frame camera the camera automatically
produces APS-C sized images even in RAW.

There is a subtle but real difference between the A7Rii and the A7Riii. I
took both with me to China. In every case I always reached for the iii
first. There are two reasons, the biggest being the battery. Perhaps the
most limiting problem for the A7 cameras up to this most recent vintage (A9,
A7Riii, A7iii) has been battery life. The new batteries are vastly superior
and give, in my experience, an all-day carry around shooting experience. The
previous generations hardly lasted a half-day.

The new A7Riii has the pixel shift technology. I haven?t tried it but I?m
betting that it requires a seriously heavy-duty tripod to work.

Autofocus for the new cameras is better than the old.

And I find myself wondering: why the hell am I using autofocus? This past
weekend I was in Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park. I took one of the
Zeiss Loxia 35mm F2.0 lenses which is entirely manual focus. Mounted the on
the A7 cameras it?s the same size as a Leica 35mm f2.0 summicron (with
adaptor). I loved it. Adding autofocus just adds weight and SIZE. I find I
always am making focus modifications so manual focus isn?t slower. AND there
is a very nice magnifying focus aid built into the Sony cameras to really
nail down focus.

Yes, the menu system isn?t nearly as nice as the Leica or Fuji systems. Yes,
there are too many added frilly things that Sony just seems to need to add
to their cameras. Does a pro camera really need a ?Toy? setting????

I?m seriously thinking of having my A7Rii converted to monochrome. If anyone
out there has done this, or has friends with experience please let me know.

Hope this was in some way helpful.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler) ([Leica] SL redux, end of story (another view of the A7Riii))
Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] SL redux, end of story)