Subject: [Leica] IMG: some film portraits
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 22:07:55 -0400

I must admit that I am perplexed by the way the discussion has gone.

everyone seems to be talking about grain, whereas the idea of tonal
representation seems unspoken.

I see the same when it comes to B&W vs Color.  The discussion quickly turns
to grain issues....

To me the differences are digit-able.    If you want grain, go get a program
that creates the knd of grain you want and digitally alter iyour images in
the way your inner artist wants.  The source can be digital, or film, it
really is all about the ?look?.

For years, MacBeth produced a color chart that you shot first, then your
subject, then altered your prints to match the chart?s colors,, thus
producing a match to your original product colors. Ditto to the idea of B&w
?colors? or tonality.

Does any one do this any more?  I haven?t heard of this method since the
digicam came on the scene.....

Frank Filippone

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.co.uk (John McMaster) ([Leica] IMG: some film portraits)