Subject: [Leica] Rural America????
From: hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 07:24:51 -0400

+1. These images look like location shoots for this season?s poverty-chic
fashions.

More than laboriously staged (not in itself a bad thing, I would say, if the
point is not straight reportage but activism or advocacy), and in some cases
intrusively HDR?d, the photos are, and look, posed. This is also not
necessarily a bad thing, etc., but here it?s the WAY that the models (I
can?t see the people as anything but that) are posed. Their bodily attitudes
and often their arrangements in the illustrations look forced and
tendentious, completely unnatural, placed in a tableau like mannikins in a
display window (I know, I?m mixing fashion metaphors). Crewdson might as
well have posted a paragraph with each one lecturing the viewer in detail on
what particular pathos is supposed to be engendered by the image, because
none is.

Poverty porn.

I don?t know what writer on photography would see these as natural. Maybe
one who?s never taken a picture.

?howard