From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 23:59:15 -0700

Gerry:? Say it ain't so!? I hope we can talk you out of leaving the
LUG.? I think you're one of the leading lights, and your absence would
be keenly felt.

I have mixed feelings about we photographers segregating ourselves by
camera brand. While I appreciate the cameraderie of Leica users, often
brand exclusivity closes us off to some fine photography that we could
enjoy and learn from, and to technology that might benefit our
photography. I think that the LUG straddles both worlds.? We all have
absorbed a certain way of seeing and method of shooting from having
loved and used Leicas. That stays with us no matter what we shoot with
today.

I became a Leica user around 1970, when my hometown camera store owner
put an M2 in my hands, and I found that I could focus an RF far faster
and more accurately than I could an SLR. I rapidly realized that the
lenses were incredible, and the low-light advantages of Leicas meant I
could get "people pictures" I could not otherwise. Of course, back then,
a lightly used Leica M2 or M3 was only a bit more expensive than a
Nikon, not stupid crazy expensive like they are now.? Today, Leica
competes with far less expensive computer-camera hybrids that give us
more versatility and some amazing new capabilities.? These same cameras
also enable less skilled photographers to (sometimes) capture things
that only the most skilled could before. It can be annoying that a chip
programmed by Japan, Inc. can meet or exceed skills we've cultivated for
a lifetime. But that same chip can give those of us with traditional
skills a boost, too.? And we still can get the shot when autofocus fails.

I haven't had much time to post lately, but I look at most of the photos
posted here. I consider the LUG both an extended family gathering and a
place of lifelong learning. I confess that lately I use my Olympus micro
4/3 outfit just as much if not more than my Leicas.? But I have the
Leica ethos in my blood, and prefer the Leica way when possible.? A
fleeting moment of human interaction or expression, well-composed,
captured with a small, light, fast, responsive camera and superb optics
is still one of my highest goals. To me, that's the Leica ethos.

There are challenges to becoming or remaining a Leica user these days. I
think that most LUGgers have retained something of the Leica ethos even
if they have moved on to other brands for technological, medical or
financial(!) reasons.? Leica-ethos photographs can be taken with other
brands. Mirrorless cameras better the size and weight advantages Leica
used to have, and they are far more versatile than a rangefinder. They
are not as fast as a skilled photographer with a Leica in some
people-shooting situations. But I suspect that if HCB or Eisie or Gene
Smith had access to a Fuji XT-2 or an Olympus EM-1 Mark II, they would
have been happy to give it a try. They might have even adopted them for
some things. Our own BD Colen takes his "Alone, Together" and "Day in
the Life" photos with a distinctly Leica accent, but uses Fujis.? Just
to cite one example.

--Peter

Gerry wrote:

 > I am sorry to say that I am unsubscribing from this board as I feel
it has less and less relevance to the ethos of Leica photography. Those
who think it is worthwhile can still see my work at the website below,
and through various places such as Facebook, Twitter etc.