Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 7/9/2018: a walk through history in Kraków
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 20:54:00 +0200

I am now back in Alicante after my business trip to Krak?w. Yesterday
afternoon I had about 3 hours to myself, which I used to walk several km
through the Jewish neighbourhood Kazimierz, and ending up at Oskar
Schindler?s factory. But rather than visiting the factory (which was crammed
with tourists), I spent an hour or so taking in the marvellous modern art
museum right next to it. Five images from the walk.

This is the Tempel synagogue, built in the 19th century. During the war it
was used by the Germans as a horse stable but was otherwise not destroyed.
Today, it is one of Krak?w?s two active synagogues:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-QXdRFVp/A

Schindler?s factory. You get the idea of its status as a major tourist
attraction:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-9DR34Pw/A

The memorial plaque on the wall of the factory:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-XNjVWmC/A

Krak?w?s Museum of Contemporary Art, right next to the Schindler factory:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-pbTKRcn/A

There was a major exhibition about nationalism; mainly Polish nationalism,
but also German, American and a couple of others. The point of view is
decidedly critical, as seen in this Polish painting:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-TnC7kVw/A

Much more to come. I can warmly recommend visiting Krak?w. There is a reason
why it is, along with Prague, the most visited city in Eastern Europe.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain