Subject: [Leica] Masai Mara - Sunrise/Sunset
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 07:35:35 +0530

Luis,
Thanks for looking.

The lens is a consumer one, Nikon's 200-500mm f5.6, which is the best bang
for the buck as far as the usability/range/weight/price matrix is
concerned, in my opinion, if the objective is to get the shot at any cost,
and not worry overmuch about finer details. All these happen to be taken
hand held, though I do use a bean bag if required, but with a high base
shutter speed to counteract shake. I feel this is better technique when
photographing animals, because it takes unpredictable subject motion into
consideration, as well as user shake. The way is to underexpose the shot to
retain the highlights in the sky, and then tease out shadow detail in post
processing, which can be done in many ways (dodging, tonal contrast
control, an HDR layer at low opacity, etc). As far as you can get away with
a low base ISO, the noise can be controlled quite well.

Cheers
Jayanand

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 3:32 AM, Lluis Ripoll via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>