Subject: [Leica] Question about photography business
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 12:31:06 -0400

https://smallbusinessbc.ca/article/how-start-your-business-your-legal-requirements/
This thing says if your biz name is your real name you're ok but if you name
it some made up fancy dumb name then you have to register it
So if your Biz name is "Brian Reid Photography" you'd not have to register
it. Unless you then change your real name to Harvey Swartz.  Then you'd have
to register it as they'd not match up.
I think one of the worst mistakes a photographer can make is having their
business name be something other than their name name.
I was lectured on that early on by a mentor of mine.  "Your name is
everything" he told me in 1978
"Rainbow Extravaganzas LTD" is not your name".  Or whatever I had on my
really bad first business cards.
I've been Mark Rabiner Photography ever since. Though dabbled with Mark
Rabiner Photographs then regretted it.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 9/21/18, 3:40 PM, "LUG on behalf of Brian Reid"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of reid at
mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:

    I've been taking pictures for money (mostly weddings and portraits) for
    40 years. I've always had a day job; I'm not good enough to try to make
    a living at it. The money I make has paid for lenses and printers but
    has never paid the mortgage or bought food.

    Recent circumstances require that I become a registered business.
    Obviously it would be a sole proprietorship. I know lots about cameras
    and computers but nothing about business licensing.

    Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I should start, to make my
    little "Brian Reid Photography" venture be a registered business? Since
    I live in California I assume that I would register in California, but I
    am baffled by what I find with search engines.