Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 23/10/2018: IP Statistics for Decision Makers conference 2018
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 06:57:06 +0200

Not the most sexy of subject lines, I know?but this week our office hosted
one of major annual events on the global IP economics circuit, together with
the OECD. Offering to host the conference was something I proposed last
year, so I have been a bit tense and nervous this week?in the way a football
coach is nervous before a match. All the preparations had been made, the
speakers lined up, the logistics were in good hands etc., but in the end you
don?t know if it went well until it is over. It is now over, and it did go
well. Two snippets from the conference.

The conference was truly global?here is a panel of three presenters, from
Korea, China and the US, respectively, chaired by Prof. Castaldi from the
Technical University of Eindhoven:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-XNXQLQj/A

In addition to the presentations in the auditorium, there were also ?poster
sessions? in the lobby, as is typical for academic conferences. These are
basically papers that did not quite make the cut to be presented orally (the
selection was made by an external Scientific Committee) but were still
considered good enough to be presented. Here is one of those posters and one
of the co-authors, whom I consider one of our real success stories. Antanina
is Lithuanian. She was a trainee in my department a few years ago, then went
on to the PhD programme at the University of Padova in Italy, where she will
defend her dissertation next month. And she has just been hired for a
post-doc position at the University of Bournemouth in England. I have kept
in touch with her over the years, visiting her in Padova two years ago, and
writing recommendations for her along the way when needed. So I am really
pleased to see her progress:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-MBsdTMr/A

Cheers,
Nathan