Subject: [Leica] Topaz AI Gigapixel
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:13:29 -0800

I've been experimenting with this software, using files from my Leica M
optics on Sony a7rii body.  The bottom line, so far, is that this is the
best sharpening software I've seen or used.  A file run through the system
at a 200% increase in size results in an image that shows very good
sharpness with no halos -- better than any other sharpening routine I'm
familiar with.

For a large full frame file, you might run out of RAM, but cutting the
image in half and processing each half separately works.

The software is slow with large files.

Of course, there is no substitute for a good original file with the
appropriate telephoto lens.

That said, for reasons of lightness and convenience I'd guess most of us do
not carry that many lenses.  Enlarging with this software when I'm not
carrying a long enough lens for a shot that presents itself is the best
alternative I've seen.

Frankly, what I'm doing is optimizing my workflow for when I'm carrying
only the camera with the Tri-Elmar 28-35-50 on it.  I like 75 mm, and this
can stretch is over that enlargement adequately for good wall display types
of prints.

(I might add as an aside that the complaint about low contrast at 50mm with
that Tri-Elmar was largely solved by cutting an appropriate rectangular
hole in a rubber, after-market slip-on lens cap so that extraneous light is
blocked.)

If you have a less than full frame camera and find yourself running a bit
short of pixels for large prints, I'd guess this Topaz software is
your best bet also.

So, bottom line, I think it's worth the money to buy it.

(Some claim the Clear function in Topaz Studio does the same thing.  I
bought it and tested that.  Don't waste your money.  It's not the same.)

Cheers,

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Message from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] IMG: A Tree)