Subject: [Leica] Kodak Dektol
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 11:36:49 -0500

Just follow the instructions on the packet. Try not to breath too much of
the powder as you're pouring it. Better to use a glass gallon jug than thin
plastic milk jug as it will turn brown less quick (the plastic breaths). If
it all does not get mixed up perfectly it's no big deal. A few crystals on
the bottom does not add up to much. They end up disappearing later on down
the line after you've poured some out.
You'll have less problems with Dektol then with liquids. With liquids you
can lay out your prints to dry and look and them later and see stains have
magically appeared on almost all your prints. A major bummer which never
happens with Dektol. Also its way cheaper per print to use if you do the
numbers. Do not use it straight in the tray. Dilute it at least 1 to 1 but 1
to 2 was more common. You'll get plenty of contrast. Probably more contrast
(in a good way better blacks ) then with a Phenidone liquid. It also lasts
longer in the tray. One once per 8x10 inch print is a good guide. It's also
what they tell you in the Kodak material. After that you won't get stains
you just won't get blacks.
A minute is good for RC paper two minutes for fiber. You might get by with a
minute and a half with fiber. Use a darkroom timer.

While it's possible to just pour the powder into the jug with a dry funnel
it?s a big hard to mix it as you can't really stir it and shaking it would
not be so cool its not a James Bond Martini. So you'd be swirling it and you
won't get it all.
 It?s a bit better to have a plastic bucket to mix it up in and pour that
into the jug for your concentrate. And maybe don?t use the bucket for others
stuff mark it "darkroom".
And get a darkroom stirring rod don't use a kitchen spoon.
Its always something.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 11/14/18, 5:46 PM, "LUG on behalf of Lluis Ripoll via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    +1
    Lluis

    > El 14 nov 2018, a les 23:14, Mark Kronquist via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org> va escriure:

    > Simple enough for generations of Photo 101 students, good enough for
thousands of professionals, As an all around developer it is hard to find a
better one for everyday use. Go for it.