Subject: [Leica] Mt. St. Helens Eruption 49 years ago today
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 02:04:04 +0000

We were living in the small town of Odessa, WA. I do not have any of my own
photos of the ash hitting on May 18, 1980 as the camera club was on a field
trip to Idaho and Canada.  We were sitting in a drive-in in Nelson, BC when
on the radio we heard, "By now you know Mt. St. Helens blew its top this
morning.  I-90 is closed and Spokane is in total darkness..."  It was about
3 PM and we looked at each other in shock.  We had the town doctor,
pharmacist, post master with us.  So, we headed home, driving around road
blocks by Davenport and on ash covered roads.  A harrowing ride.  So may
stories.  I started taking photos the next day, and here is a collection of
a few that were taken over the next few days as we looked about in disbelief
at the "snow" that would never melt, then tried to figure out what the heck
to do, and then did it.  We really had no choice.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/msh/

View them large if you can.

Comments welcome.

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

would ever have dared dream.? James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at gmail.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] Mt. St. Helens Eruption 49 years ago today)
Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] Mt. St. Helens Eruption 49 years ago today)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Mt. St. Helens Eruption 49 years ago today)