Subject: [Leica] IMG: Airport Mama Killdeer
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 16:03:20 -0500

A bird's choice of a nesting place is sometimes puzzling.? One of my
airport friends showed me a female Killdeer who chose a grassy, tarred
expansion joint in the airport parking ramp.? This concrete dates back
to the late 1930s, so it has seen a lot of wear and patching over the
years.? She chose a cluster of grass in the joint, and I'm told the nest
contains 4 spotted eggs.? She holds her place defensively, but isn't
bothered by the approach of humans or the roar of the jump plane as it
passes near her.? The airport crew have marked the nest with two traffic
cones.

The cones mark and protect the nesting spot:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20190519-DSCF1229.JPG.html

And the female Killdeer keeps an eye on visitors:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20190519-DSCF1216.JPG.html

So much for news in a small town!

--
Jim Nichols