Subject: [Leica] Highlands PAW 22
From: john at mcmaster.co.uk (John McMaster)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 10:04:10 +0000

Had a visit to the Wick Heritage Centre, been there before and had seen the
lighthouse but this trip was different.....

We happened to be there as a volunteer was, he asked us if we would like to
look inside (there is a locked barrier).  Then he said that he had worked at
this lighthouse (Noss Head) in the mid-70s.  It is a unique item as far as
they know, it would have been scrapped if someone had not had the foresight
to save it.  There is 3.5 tons of glass and brass made in Paris, the unusual
bit is having mirrors over the light.  In the fourth picture you see the
centre, the light was lit with whale oil (stored in that tank) until the
early 70s when it was converted to paraffin - one tank lasted a couple of
days.  I asked how the light was turned, obviously there had been no
electricity to it.  The mechanism to rotate the light (which is so well
balanced that you can turn it with little effort) was a bit like a
grandfather clock with weights, but they needed to be rewound every 30
minutes!

https://johnmcmaster.com/PAW/2019/22

All with M(240) and 35mm Summilux FLE

C & C welcome