Subject: [Leica] Editing
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 09:42:51 -0500

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 "Ted Grant" <tedgrant at shaw.ca>wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>As you well know back in the days when newspapers' had a "city editor who
quite often was also the "photo editor" whom upon editing the photos for
>the latest edition. Used a large pair of scissors' and would say out
loud....."2 column!"
>And in a flash he chopped "edited the print" to a composition size to fit
a 2 column page space.
>Most "city editors I have worked with have been "blind in both eyes" when
it came to correct & true beautifying a picture page in beauty! Only to
chop >the photo to fit a "column size" DESTROYING IN MOST CASES THE
"composition" BEAUTY of the photo completely!
>cheers,
>Dr. ted grant O.C.
This reminds me that, a few years back, in a feature on an upcoming
Cartier-Bresson show at a local venue, the Milwaukee Journal ran his famous
"Picnic on the Marne" photo, and CROPPED IT to fit the space.
-
Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978