Subject: [Leica] Inspection Developing
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 17:53:14 -0500

Sun, 18 Aug 2019 Lluis Ripoll <lluisripollphotography at gmail.com>wrote:

>Alan,

>Thank you for your information!

>I?ve never developed by inspection, I think it will be not easy see the
negative in the dark?.

>Best!
>Lluis
I found this technique to be very useful for trying odd film/developer
combinations, and in case of
under or over exposure.  You need a #3 dark green darkroom filter and
ideally, a foot switch for it.
Also the processing leading up to the inspection should be done under red
light to preserve night vision.

I would load the tank and develop to about 3/4 of the required time, then
turn off the red light, open
the tank, unroll the film a bit, emulsion side up and then turn on the
green light with the foot switch.
If the frames looked like dark rectangles, the developing was done.  The
green light can only be on
for a few seconds (at a distance of about 2-1/2 feet), or the film will be
fogged.
It takes practice to get to know how to relate what the film looks like
under the green light to how
it ends up when fixed, but I think it's worth knowing.

--
Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978