Subject: [Leica] Leica Portraits Facebook
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 11:54:29 -0400

Sonny,

Once in a while someone over there posts an outstanding portrait. But most
of the time they seem to have allowed themselves to be trapped by their
technology, their culture, and their arrogance, which comes from being
young, I expect.

Much of the work just shrieks portrait made with a 50mm lens. As any LUG
member will tell you it is tough to get close enough with a 50mm lens on a
rangefinder to fill the frame with a head shot. Simple answer. Crop or
reframe. Works every time.

I am not sure who the audience for these photos is. My suspicion is that it
is the annual meeting of the Asian Big Boob Society. The result they achieve
is all too often portraits with two conflicting centers of interest. Simple
cure. Make up your mind what your shot is about. If you are going to shoot
porn, shoot porn. It will not hurt your leica. If you are going to shoot
portraits, shoot portraits. Tell a story about your subject. And there lies
another issue. They might might want to give some thought to what some of
their work says about whom they photograph.

The other possibility is that the problem is me. Perhaps they are speaking a
new language of portraiture which I am too out of it to understand. But I
have spent too much time on my side of the viewfinder to find that fully
convincing.

My bottom line is that just because you can shoot at f1.1 doesn?t mean you
should or that it is a good idea. That so called creamy, buttery bookeh they
crave rapidly becomes a creamy, buttery distraction if you are not careful.
I think one also needs to make some decisions regarding what your picture is
about. The subject or the background.

Please forgive me. I tend to be old school and hard core about these things.

Barney

Make America Kind Again!

Barney Quinn, WK3Z
301-775-1386