Subject: [Leica] Leica M6 Anniversary/ M3 Rules for Me
From: amagayneroshak at gmail.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2024 16:08:32 -0500

On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 8:13?AM Frank Filippone via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org

wrote:
> Ever notic how every new DigiM is compared to the M3?  Says something
> special about that M3.
>
> And there is one more salient comment.... an M3, even form the original
> series of manufacture (1953? 1954?) , is still a state of the art camera.
> It
> has never been eclipsed.  While I like to think of the M6 as THE best M,
> with its built in meter, the M3 is equally capable of making equally great
> images.  It is no better than an M3.
My silky smooth M3 is 65 years old, and is still my favorite camera ever.
I handled an M6 once, but it felt flimsy
and cheap in comparison, and I like the viewfinder of the M3 better than
all the later M's - it is ideal for my two
most-used lenses, the 50 & 85/90 (I like the APSC sensor on my X-E2, since
it gives me an 83mm field with a
50mm lens).  And it wasn't a hardship to pair the M3 with my Sekonic L-28
for Kodachrome or Panatomic-X;
with Tr-X I'd generally estimate exposure from experience.

--
Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978