Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 or Autofocus?
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2001 18:47:51 -0800

On Wed, 17 January 2001, George Lottermoser wrote:

> After using Nikon AF Glass on an F5 for a couple years,
> specifically to "get" those action, sports shots, I finally gave
> it up and went with the R8. Why? One of the reasons: The shots
> never felt like mine. They felt like they were taken by the
> camera. Returning to manual everything gave me back a sense of
> "my" craft and ownership of the image.
>
> The same thing comes up for me when I shoot color (which I don't
> process or print). Ever since our local fine printer closed his
> doors. I can't ever really get the color prints that I want. I
> feel my black and white work belongs to me, total control, start
> to finish.
>
> Anyone else experience these feelings or is it just because I'm
> over 50?
>
> regards,
>
> George

This is another view of the "process vs. results" question.  As an aside, total control is an illusion because we're always at the mercy of someone or some company that may decide to discontinue our favorite chemistry, paper or process - PKL, for example :(

I'm nearing 50 so maybe George's feelings may be age-related 'cuz I've reverted to more direct control in the last few years with my SL cameras.  I print color via a digital process but instead of paying someone to do the file preparation work, I do that myself and own all blame for the quality of the prints.  I enjoy the process and take pride in the results.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!