Subject: Re: [Leica] "R" battery query
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:58:36 -0800

on 1/11/04 10:26 AM, Stan Yoder at vze2myh5@verizon.net wrote:

> I'm an "M" guy who's thinking of adding "R". What batts do the Leicaflexes and
> Rs use? Many marques
> of this vintage were using 625s and other mercuries.
>
> I know the rep of the SL/SL2, but would an R4s be a good, low-investment
> starter? Not R4, but R4*s*.
>
> TIA,
> Stan Yoder
> Pittsburgh

Stan, all of the Leicaflexes use the 625 battery, while the R3 through R7
bodies use the 76 silver cell.  I think the R4s is a good starter R but if
you get one and some time down the road find it needs more repair than just
a CLA it may be more economical to replace it.  I like the R4sP better than
the R4s because the shutter speed you set in manual mode is visible in the
viewfinder, and more importantly (for me) the mode switch is idiot-proofed.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com