Subject: RE: [Leica] "R" battery query
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:39:36 -0500

Stan,
If setting everything manually doesn't scare you then you will be much
happier with an SL.  The price is close enough to the R4 series so why
not choose the brighter screen, much more durable construction, and
mostly infinite shutter speeds in manual?

I have an R4 and the viewfinder is not nearly as easy to focus, there is
a much longer shutter lag, the DOF preview lever is sometimes slow to
return.  On the good side, adding a motor is easy, and changing screens
is possible.  If you dig in the archives, there are many references to
problematic R4's: not only the circuit boards when new, but foam issues,
mirror return issues, and the DOF lever.  Doug was politely suggesting
that R4's of any stripe are sort of a high end disposable that take
really good glass.  Some have never had problems, others have continual
problems with theirs.

As to the batteries, I have had excellent luck with the CRIS adapters
and S76 cells in my SL's and SL2.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com