Subject: [Leica] M9 reviewers drawn from the "unwashed masses"
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:34:41 -0800

On Nov 9, 2009, at 9:20 PM, Frank Dernie wrote:

> But we -know- the R market is tiny compared even to the M market. The R8
> almost bankrupted the company. It cost a pittance to develop compared to a
> digital camera. How many $25,000 R digitals could they sell? At least by
> making their digital reflex camera the "S" they have half a chance of
> paying the development costs, with a digital R they have not a snowballs
> chance in hell to get their money back, never mind make anything. The
> reflex Leica has been subsidising users since its inception (including
> me). It seems they have learned from history and given up on it.
> Unfortunate for us users, but at least now they may still continue to
> exist.

I too wish for an R digital...the recent petition signed by several hundred
people, touted as showing demand for the camera succeeded only in showing
how relatively weak the demand would be, based on the number of people who
even cared enough to sign a petition. The petition most likely did nothing,
if it had any impact, it may have sadly reinforced Leica's decision not to
make a digital R...

Steve