Subject: [Leica] Computer Help
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:55:02 -0400

LUG:

This is driving me crazy.  Yesterday an automatic Microsoft update rendered
my computer totally worthless.  It went back to the original configuration
of Windows 7 with none of my screen savers, no programs loaded - just a
bare-bones version of a new Windows 7.  I used Restore to go back before the
update.  All seemed good.  Screensavers are there, programs listed,
documents and photos where they should be; HOWEVER, nothing works.  When I
click on any program at all I get this message "The application has failed
to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see
the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more
detail."  That is totally Greek to me and I've put it up on several Windows
and Microsoft forums and nobody else seems to know what it means.  I've come
to the LUG expertise as a last resort.  I do (did) have everything backed up
with Acronis, but that is one of the programs that refuses to run, even from
the restore CD.  Before I totally tear all of my hair out, is there anybody
out there who has the slightest idea how I can fix this?

The day when all of my computer programs can be cloud-based will be a great
day (maybe).

TIA

Tina

--