Subject: [Leica] XP-2
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 13:48:14 -0500

Does a 1/3 stop even make a difference? Or is 320 a lucky number that people
remember from TXP120? Serious question.

I see references everywhere to rating 400 film of various types at 320, and
it seems a bit strange because few film cameras are accurate and consistent
enough to predict a blanket rule with an almost insignificant amount of
overexposure. Virtually anything with a leaf shutter is already overexposing
by at least that much -- meaning that "320" really means 250, and 2/3 stop
is much more noticeable than 1/3. And with all mechanical shutters, each
speed can have a different error in a different direction. The other thing
is that C-41 processing, at least commercial processing, is not that
consistent either.

And having put a densitometer to silver negatives exposed at one-third stop
increments with very accurate electronic shutters, it does not tend to drag
meaningful detail out of the toe. And it makes zero difference to tones on a
straight-line film like TMY. Maybe things are different with XP2, but even
eyeballing its curve, it seems doubtful that (an actual) 1/3 stop would do
very much.

Or maybe I'm missing the magic here? I take the suggestion seriously coming
from you, but it still seems slightly superstitious.

Best,
Dante