Subject: [Leica] From the Ilford blog - FOR LLUIS
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 11:34:13 +0000

Guys,

FWIW: I started using chromogenic film at roughly the time I joined the LUG
(years ago). I found that the processing is generally straightforward for
most
shops that do things like checking quality of the developer before and after
running a batch through.

The real issue is scanning. Gerry is right, there is little reason that it
should not scan well and give great tonality. HOWEVER, if you ask most
developing shops to scan it, they just treat it like a single-channel jpeg
(in
my experience)

I used to get mine scanned onto CD as high res .TIFFs which gave me something
close to 24Mpixel; more than good enough for printing from and for treating
as I
would RAW files.

I used Kodak 400CN. I haven't tried the Fuji, but I found that the Ilford
films
tend to be a little darker.

This is a BW400CN shot:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album230/album284/Camelot_120051010.jpg.html>

This is the same taken on XP2:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album230/album284/Camelot_2XP220051010.jpg.html>

sorry about the glare! The only other difference is that (I think) the former
was taken on my IIIf and the latter on my M3.

BW400CN was capable of this sort of thing:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album164/MillerPerfectCircle.jpg.html>

Bear in mind that all have been converted to formats and sizes that  the
gallery
was happy with at the time.

Peter