Subject: [Leica] IMG: Nathan's PAW 15: Santa Faz aftermath and a backyard BBQ
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 07:01:35 +0200

Not so much happening in mid-April, a hiatus between the trip to Paris the
preceding week and upcoming trips to Denmark and London later in the month.
But this week was just about work and home activities, punctuated by a local
holiday on Thursday, Santa Faz. It is a strictly Alicante holiday (so, all
shops etc. are open normally in the suburb where I live because we are in
the neighbouring municipality El Campello which does not celebrate this
holiday). Santa Faz is called this because of a relic housed in a local
monastery, a piece of cloth allegedly used to wipe Jesus?s face when he was
on the cross, and a related 16th century miracle. A major thoroughfare is
closed, and a huge procession (more than 330,000 people this year) walks the
7-8 km from the cathedral in the centre to the Santa Faz monastery, not far
from my house. Traditionally, a big part of the procession were teenagers
pushing shopping carts full of booze and munchies. After the end of the
procession they would walk another couple of km to the beach and party there
the rest of the day. However, a few years ago the city clamped down on this
?botell?n?, even frisking people?s backpacks to ensure that no booze was
smuggled to the beach, and of course no shopping carts anymore either.
Instead, a ?fiesta 0.0%? is organised on the beach, with music and various
alcohol-free activities, although undoubtedly some people do manage to get
their hooch past the police and in any event, the bars along the beach
promenade are open normally. So in the afternoon I went to the beach to have
a look.

Besides Santa Faz, we had a bbq at our house on Sunday afternoon with the
usual small group of friends and way more food than we could possibly eat,
even with help from Balu, a cute greedy four-legged visitor. It is all here:

https://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/?page_id=4304
<https://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/?page_id=4304>

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman