To: leica-users
Subject: what to look for in a Canon rangefinder
From: Jack Campin <jack@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 May 92 14:03:44 BST

I'm contemplating getting another Leica-screw body, and I'm not sure
whether a Leica IIIf or a Canon V-T/VI-T fits the bill better.  I've
seen both on sale recently at what seems to me reasonable prices.
So a few questions for the cognoscenti on these things:

- can you use electronic flash with any IIIf?  Or just with the red-dial
  models?  Is there any more to it than finding the appropriate socket
  adapter?  What speed do they sync at?

- how repairable are the Canons?  What do you look for (to avoid) when
  buying one?  (I recently saw one which had had something, probably the
  rear element of a wide-angle lens, pushed against the ridged light baffle
  at the top, forcing it up by a millimetre or two and scraping the paint
  off - not having a clue what mechanisms might be above that, I held off
  buying, though it seemed OK otherwise).

- what do you get with a VI-T that you don't with a V-T?

- what speed do the Canons sync at?

- how much can you use the fast-wind lever on them before something breaks?

- which would be likely to have the more accurate shutter timings, the
  Canons or the Leica?

--  Jack Campin    room G092, Computing Science Department, Glasgow University,
17 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RZ, Scotland   TEL: 041 339 8855 x6854 (work)
INTERNET: jack@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk or via nsfnet-relay.ac.uk    FAX: 041 330 4913
BANG!net: via mcsun and uknet     BITNET: via UKACRL    UUCP: jack@glasgow.uucp