To: leica-users
Subject: Experience with Leica dealers
From: pulli@seismo.CSS.GOV (Jay Pulli)
Date: Mon, 4 May 92 09:19:28 EDT

I started to get interested in Leicas last year after purchasing
an M3 SS body.  Needing a lense, a friend of mine told me about
Shutterbug, and I discovered all of the Leica dealers mentioned
in Steve Fellini's post.

I was interested in a 50mm f2 Summicron, and sent out 4 or so FAXES
to some of the dealers inquiring about availability and prices.
Most quoted $500-$600 for Mint/Mint- (some calling the lense 96%
Mint; 96%??) anyway, Jim Kuehl quoted $375 for a Mint- example.
It was what I wanted to pay, and I could return it after a week
if not satisfied, so I bought it and have been very happy with it.

Since then I have bought a number of accessories from Jim Kuehl
and have been very happy with his service.  He's very knowledgeable,
and does not rush you through a call.  Currently he's trying to
find for me a 35 f2.8 Summaron for the M3.

Other than the quotes prices, I have no experience with Chatterton
and the other dealers mentioned by Steve.  From a "users" perspective,
I have been somewhat leary of acquiring more Leica stuff because
of the collectability aspects of Leicas.  The Leica "market" reminds
me a lot of the rare coin market (a former hobby).  Since cosmetics
and condition count for so much, and with the great nonlinear scale
of price/condition, the market is open for anyone who wants to
overgrade the merchandise.  Does anyone know of some grading guidelines
for Leicas so that one knows what an EX++ really means, and how to know
if your purchase meets the advertised grade?