To: leica-users
Subject: Re: Shade for 35mm summilux
From: meastman@adobe.com (Mark Eastman)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 92 11:38:37 PDT

>While on the subject of shades, I need a shade for
>a 35mm f/1.4 Summilux. The list price for a new one
>is $80! Any ideas where I can get a used one? Thanks,

There is a weekly photoswap in Alameda, call directory assistance-
they have a telephone listing "Alameda Camera Swap" or Photo Swap
I can't remeber for the exact location. It's in a mission style Hotel
of Santa Clara from I think 8-1pm every sunday.

There are also BIGGER swaps where these guys and droves of others
dealers appear every few months.
The big one just happened at the Santa Clara Fairgrounds.

A while ago I picked up a Leitz 50mm metal shade at Keeble & Schucat
for $35.00. I was glad because when I bought a 50/f2 from Stan Tamarkin
a few months later it came with a *plastic* shade.

I put the 50mm shade on my 35mm Summicron and stopped it all the way
down to check for vignetting. Nothing showed on the proof sheet. So it
seems a 50mm will work which is nice because you can probably find a
61mm I.D. cap (or slighly over with a little tape inside) to fit over the
shade which prevents one from having to fumble getting the shade off
and on again all the time. Just leave it fixed.  The square shade is cool
but if you leave it on the camera it's bound to collect dust because
of the way its designed and as far as I know they don't make a
"square" cap for it.

Best Regards,

Mark
meastman@adobe.com

"If your pictures aren't good enough you're not close enough!"
						-Robert Capa

(Exception: When in a minefield, use a telephoto!)