To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: used M's
From: nonnecke@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca (Blair Nonnecke)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 11:50:57 +0000

>One thing to look for is the whether the camera is used with a winder. On
>M4, M4-x and M6 (I don't know about other Ms) you can check if the fork on
>the bottom of the film takeup spool is shiny and worn, which usually indicates
>that a winder has been used and lots of frames have gone through it.
>Personally, I would not by a well used camera from a pro.

Fortunately, there were no winders for M5's.

A few years ago, one of the photography magazines interviewed a noted
professional photographer who traded in his entire set of equipment each
year. The photographer claimed that high frequency vibration from airplanes
loosens screws in the cameras causing them to malfunction. This type of
hidden "damage" would be very difficult to assertain when purchasing a used
camera.

Replies: Reply from Gordon Banks <geb@dsl.pitt.edu> (Re: used M's)