To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: beggining user questions
From: richard@dnd.icp.nec.com.au (Richard Urmonas)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 09:40:14 EST

Recently I was lucky to borrow a leica M3 for a weekend.  I had been
interested in one for a while (and saving for one!).  My wife on seeing
the quality of results agreed that it was a worthwile purchase !!

Now for the questions.  As my finances are limited I can afford something
like a late model M3 (or M2, IIIf etc.) plus one or two lenses.

I generally use a camera while cycle touring so take wide shots (nice
views or interesting buildings etc.)  or telephoto (interesting details
either far or close).  My biggest worry is the risk of damage from
shock / vibration on the bicycle (I take all reasonable precautions
but still worry).  I or course desire the quick handling and excellent
results the leica offers.  My questions are:

1)  Recommendations on which camera.
2)  Reccomendations on lenses.  I am looking for the best results
and would prefer to save more money for the really good lens than buy
a lesser performing lens.

I should point out that in the past I have carted around a medium format
TLR in order to get good results (from a camera I could afford!).

Alternatively if some comparison information is available in an archive
please point me at it !

Richard Urmonas.

Replies: Reply from Gordon Banks <geb@dsl.pitt.edu> (Re: beggining user questions)
Reply from Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> (Re: beggining user questions)