To: Richard Urmonas <richard@dnd.icp.nec.com.au>
Subject: Re: more questions on leica
From: Gordon Banks <geb@dsl.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 15:34:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, Richard Urmonas wrote:

> -  what are the good and bad points of M3, M2, IIIf or similar priced
>    models.  Which features are good and which are of little use.  Also
>    what problems to look for in used camera (e.g. part XXX is often
>    worn).

The main difference between the M2 and the M3 is the automatic
windowing.  The M2 has a wide angle window and the M3 has a telephoto
window.  Which you should look for depends on what type of pictures you
plan to take most.

> -  Users perspective on the screw mount vs. bayonet mount cameras. I am
>    especially interested in how people feel about the split viewfinder/
>    rangefinder of the screwmount vs. single viewfinder of bayonets. Also
>    the convenience/inconvenience of the auxilliary viewfinders for the
>    wide/tele lenses (on both screw and bayonet models).

Obviously auxilliary viewfinders are not as convenient as built in.  The
various modes of split/overlapping rangefinder each have their
advocates.  It only makes a difference in low light conditions or if you
have to focus rapidly.  Otherwise, either methods works fine.

> -  Finally I am interesed in what are regarded as particularly good lenses
>    in the 28/35mm and 90/135mm.

For the SM, I use the 35 mm f/3.5 Summaron and the 90 mm f4 Elmar.  For
the bayonet, the 35mm f/2 Summicron and the 90mm Elmar.  The Summicron is
a better lens, but much more expensive, of course.

Gordon Banks  N3JXP      |"I do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men
geb@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu   | of old.  I seek the things they sought."  Basho