To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Reminiscence
From: BillDan@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 10:28:08 -0500

 I'm an old Leica user & accumulator. Not a collector, but I have several
Leicas et al. I suppose my "15 minutes of fame" (didn't Andy Warhol say
that?) came after WW-II ended. Leitz had been taken over by the government,
finally returned to private US company that wanted to revitalize Leicas. They
had a national contest. I won second prize: a Focomat enlarger which I still
use.
  Using Leicas for about 60 years has many associated memories for me and
here is one. If it doesn't "fit" here, just skip the rest.
  I was an avid photog in my teen years..such great equipment as a Kodak VP
camera and graduated to a Plaubel Makinetta with an f:2.0 lens but no
rangefinder that used 127 film. I wanted a Leica. I wanted to trade & had
written numerous companies. The best was my camera + $150...lots of money in
the Depression. My Dad said OK so when I got to Chicago I walked the streets
hunting for camera shops. No one would trade..but I came to a small,
disheveled shop run by an old Jew. It seemed all camera shops had Jewish
owners. I showed him the letter, he figured and figured and then said, "All
right, I'll do it." I was thrilled. Then I told him I'd have to write a check
and should I come back after the check had cleared so I could get the camera.
"No," he said, "take it now." I couldn't believe it! "But you don't know me.
You could find me at Northwestern med school." He laughed and said, "You know
how much I'll make on this? $10.  You know why I'm doing it? Because you'll
come back and buy more. You know why I trust you? People don't cheat on
hobbies. Here take the Leica."  I took it!
  I went back again and again over the years, first for used equipment and
then for new equipment. Abe and I became great friends and I even bought via
mail order.
  Yep, if one uses Leicas long enough, there will be lots of tales. Anyone
else?
        Bill