To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: 35 vs. 50 summicrons
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 07:39:50 PST

** Reply to note from cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu 12/13/95  3:20pm -0800
> Where is a source for the BAS labs tests? I would be interested to see the
> results of the tests and a description of how they are conducted.

They are found in a German publication called Fotomagazine. Subscriptions run
about $45. A friend of mine in Wisconsin subscribes. I can ask him for the
address if you're interested.

I have the BAS results for all the Leica R and M lenses, though filed away
somewhere I would find hard to locate at this time. What I remember of them is
that the Leica R lenses tend to be the best Leica makes in most focal lengths.
For example, the performance of the new 19 2.8 Elmarit is about the best wide
angle Leica makes, right behind the 35 Summilux R and M Asperic II. My friend
has pointed out the new 280 f/4 Apo Telyt is diffraction limited wide open,
which the BAS test confirm.

They're done in a lab that tests every lens on the market, not just ones for
advertisers of the magazine. And they seem to be pretty honest about it.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR