To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Vario-Elmar
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 10:19:38 PST

** Reply to note from wilcox@umcc.umich.edu 12/11/95  4:33pm -0500
> Looking at ads for the vario-elmar, it appears there have been two versions
> of the 35-70 f3.5 and a 28-70 f3.5-4.5. Which was first? Which is current?
> Where where the various versions made and shuld I care?

The 35-70 is a semi-two-touch zoom. It's really an unusual arrangement. It's
pretty much like the Minolta of the same stats, with some beefing up. Nice lens,
but the manufacturing was moved to Germany several years ago, and some say the
quality went up. I don't know. I never wanted it or the more current 28-70. I'm
told it's a very good lens, made by Sigma which has certainly improved over the
years, but still is not going to be a match for the single focal lengths. It's
less expensive than the German 35-70. Optically, I'd go with the German, but if
your wife would rather have the 28 focal length, that should be fine too.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR