To: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: 35 vs. 50 summicrons
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 22:47:39 -0800
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

joe b. wrote:

> Following on from my concern about the sharpness of the 50mm Summicron-
> R, I did look up the post elsewhere that said it was an underperformer.
> As we all know, you can find tests to say all sorts of things, and I've
> learned not to take much notice generally of test results, especially as
> they apply to Leica lenses. But I'm wondering about this lens. Does
> anyone know whether the 50mm Summilux-R is known to be sharper? Any
> experience or opinions with these two lenses? It seems that if I want

A friend of mine had one and said it was at least as good. But the
Summicron can focus much closer, and with Elpros, give you 1:3
magnification with pretty good results. And I owned one for years, and
it is no slouch. And it has the Leica look. Don't trust the reports too
much, the numbers may show up in tests, but not really too much in
results.

--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR